Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A couple of challenges

Today I'm off work, so I decided to play along with the Color Inspiration Challenge over on Kristina Werner's blog. You can see her post here:
http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/index.html

The challenge colors were Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, Soft Sky and Very Vanilla. I needed to make a sympathy card for my class this weekend, so I figured this was the perfect excuse. I also pulled out my Always set by SU, it needed some use. :) The Papertrey sentiment (which can be found here http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_mixedmessages.html) was the perfect addition to the center panel.

Oh, I almost forgot! The sketch for this card is from SCS Sketch Challenge #173 and can be found here http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92633&d=1208920850

Whenever I feel like I'm in a creative rut, a card sketch is just the thing to get me going.

For this 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card, I started out with a Close to Cocoa base and sponged the edges with Close to Cocoa ink. I used a piece of Afternoon Tea paper, layered with Chocolate Chip cardstock for the background. The main panel is Very Vanilla, layered on Chocolate Chip. I sponged the edges with Soft Sky ink. The heart was stamped in Chocolate Chip ink on Soft Sky cardstock, cut out, and mounted on dimensionals. The oblong panel is Very Vanilla, stamped with more stamps from the Always set.

I spent the morning at home because we had to have a plumber come over -- one of our sewer pipes in the basement had a hole in it! Eeeks! Can't wait to see the bill for that one.... :) At least now we can use the downstairs bathroom and I can use my dishwasher!

4 comments:

SmilynStef said...

Gorgeous ... I love how you combined the different patterns on each layer.

amy said...

This is a beautiful card - great job on the challenge.. I'm not Kristina but it is in my top 10!

Deanna said...

Great card!

Natalie said...

Wow, Jen, this card is AMAZING! You do great work.

Bummer about that sewer pipe though...