Saturday, July 10, 2010

{i believe}

In family dinner.

When I was growing up, my sister and I lived in a somewhat dysfunctional family, and when I say somewhat, I'm really just trying to be diplomatic here. :)  But really, we always sat down together at night to eat dinner. I tried to warn Adam that when we had children, there would be no more eating in front of the television....and when the time came for Keira to start eating solids, my insistence to get him to the table with us was met with a little resistance. But now it's just habit. I think eating dinner as a family together is a way to stay connected, to talk about your day, and relax. And though cooking dinner every night after being gone for 10 hours working and commuting isn't always easy, I think the benefits outweigh any inconveniences.

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table. "
Ronald Reagan
.

 I have noticed that Keira eats better when we eat together as a family too. So I will continue my nightly family dinners from now until forever. Because I want my children to have a strong sense of family. And much to Adam's dismay, we are not installing a flat screen in the kitchen. :)

I worked on this card the other night as part of a custom order:

 I had a lot of fun doing these cards....I was given permission to get creative without abandon, as she just wanted all occasion cards. I used some old Scenic Route patterned paper that I found (black and white), as well as some of the new Basic Grey 'Basics' paper (cream polka-dotted).

Here I embellished another Martha Stewart doily tag with some of the BG Basics labels, as well as some Cosmo Cricket letter stickers and a MS daisy embellishment. The pinked yellow strip is by KI memories.

I love embellishing these little doilies; they are such a small canvas to work with and the dimension you can create is awesome. I mounted this one on a Making Memories paper blossom (black polka dotted).

I finished the card off with a blue strip of paper cut with my pinking shears and some stitching.

Hope you enjoy your weekend, we have no big plans around here which is nice. :)

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I'm totally with you on the dinner thing. It's funny how as children get older families change - and yes that means no flat screens to accomodate dinner time tv watching. We went through the same transition . . . a few years ago :) It's no longer a question/thought for any of us what dinner time means in our home. Stick to your guns sista!