Sunday, October 17, 2010

{halloween}

When my sister and I were growing up, we went to a crazy church. Non-denominational, I guess you could call them evangelical Christians. I say crazy because they were very controlling and everything secular was the devil. So you can imagine what they thought about Halloween? Well you might as well be worshiping the devil himself. We weren't allowed to dress up, attend the Halloween party at school, or go trick-or-treating. Here's an article about the Pagan origins of Halloween, basically this was their platform.

I should mention also that we weren't allowed to have a Christmas tree, because that used to be a Pagan tradition too. Good God, help us.

Of course now that I am an adult I can choose what I want to believe, and I don't think that any part of dressing up for Halloween or having a Christmas tree makes me a Pagan.  So this year we'll be dressing Keira up as an Iowa Hawkeye cheerleader and having a Halloween party for family and friends. No sacrifices, no witchcraft, no sorcery. Just a time to make fun food and decorations and spend time with one another. :)  Adam will be making smoked barbecue chicken and I'll be making lots of fun sides and desserts.

I took a tip from Michelle Wooderson, and created my very own Halloween "inspiration station" with products from my stash. I love doing this because you get to go through all your products and just pick out the things that are appropriate for the holiday, whether they are Halloween-themed or not! All the stamps are by SU, except for the 'boo!' stamp which is by Inkadinkado. I picked up the chunky orange glitter at Wal-Mart yesterday in the Halloween section for just $1.97! I have plans for a spooky banner with this stuff. I also included my orange and purple glimmer mists, as well as patterned paper from SU, Scenic Route, Reminisce and The Girls Paperie.

Here's the invitation I sent out for the party. I used patterned paper from The Girls Paperie, as well as a bat cut out with my Cricut.

I stamped the boo stamp on lined patterned paper, then punched it out with my new SU punch and splattered it with orange glimmer mist. I also added some stitching and some black lace ribbon.

That's all for today, although I should have some more Halloween decorations to post soon! I've got an 8x10 creation I need to frame and photograph, as well as a banner I'm working on and some ATCs I'm planning on displaying with this.

This morning I cleaned the house with a toddler in tow....which is pretty much like pissing into the wind, don't you think? :) I swept and mopped the floors, vacuumed the carpet and the stairs, dusted, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher and laundered the curtains. My logic there is that if I do that all while she's awake, then I can do something more fun while she's napping! :) I still can't believe I got that floor mopped without her tromping though the kitchen though, thank God for small miracles. Oh, and I just realized this is the first time I've laundered the curtains in 4 years. Awesome! ;)

No comments: